Saturday, August 10, 2013

7 hour fps challenge, and the current 7 day jam

This year, 7dfps  added a new, short precursor challenge: make an fps in 7 hours, as opposed to the usual 7 days. We had to try.

We ended up creating the game locusts. We couldn't manage finishing it in 7 hours. Locusts was created in 14 hours total, after several complications. But it was fun. For the most part, coding it was completely new to me. I had to learn a lot as I put it together. Most of the code would probably turn your hair grey, some parts of it, like the enemy attacks testing to see if they hit the player, are complete workarounds ignoring the actually useful systems I learned about later. The last 2 hours of dev I was simply trying to fix my horrid script that ended up allowing the player to kill enemies, but only on the order they spawned.

I'm glad we participated in the 7hfps, if only to learn and not repeat the mistakes during the valuable 7 days we have now.

One of the things we learned about was communication. We have 4 members of our team working on our 7dfps game, transparencies. Hjaarnio is making art assets in Blender, while BeardlessOne and SomeKittens are writing scripts. I'm jumping around between both sides of development. We aim to make an fps that plays like a top-down shooter, inspired by Hotline Miami. The walls are transparent, to attack enemies with planned out timing, thrown weapons stun enemies, ammo is short and you've gotta move quickly. Progress is going good and I can't wait to see what everyone else has been working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment