Monday, July 8, 2013

frusration-style learning

So I've started learning unity, both to speed up the process of THWAP (the art assets are pretty much complete) and to gain new understanding that'll help even on the art side of projects.

The learning process has been frustration-style. Trying, failing, looking looking looking, trying and failing again, until i get something right. There's all these little things in unity that you just have to know, and I haven't found a good source for all of those little things explained at once in a good way. For instance, in order to actually play the animations you imported, you have to change the animation style from default. This is because of the new way unity animates things, the default doesn't actually play imported animations as far as I can tell. (I'm happy animating in blender).

I also managed to crash Unity, the engine itself, with a dumb while loop. And the whole time I was trying to fix it, I thought the bone scaling in the animation was crashing it. Or the mousedown. Or maybe because the .blend file was 666 kb. Who knew, it was the dumb while loop with no end!

And just for fun, here's mob1, terrified and leaning backwards on the floor because i haven't restricted the axis of the lookat yet:

No comments:

Post a Comment